Articles

Tuesday, February 24, 2015

Trap-a-Thon

A Consumer Guide to Gucci Mane

Until now, nobody that I know of but Gucci himself has actually heard all 74 of Gucci Mane’s mixtapes, albums, and EPs in their entireties. I’m volunteering to be that pioneer. Like Lewis & Clark, but better probably. At least my spelling will be.
Over the course of my crusade, I will explore, analyze, and review each release, and I will record my findings for the public good. When I’m done, I will rank all of these releases from greatest to worst.
A good model for my reviews, mostly because it’s the only one I know, is Robert Christgau’s Consumer Guide. I recognize that this task is likely unsustainable. As I’m listening and writing, Gucci is recording, and before I’m done there will probably be at least three more Gucci mixtapes. I say it’s worth the risk.

To hold my eager public over in the time it takes me to slog through all the Trap God’s scriptures, I plan to release the Guide as a series. Part 1, entitled “From The Trap House and Back (2005-2007),” is in the works and will be along soon.

1 comment: